Monday, December 15, 2008

Stuff I'm Loving Right Now


Online: my new favorite source of news, gossip and information is The Daily Beast, who's motto is "Read This, Skip That." Uber-Editor Tina Brown's foray into the online world, after stints at Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, and the ill-fated Talk magazine, seems to have a winner here. It's a singular combination of snarky gossip and snippets, thoughtful yet short(!) articles, lots of financial and political commentary. Just my cup 'o tea and I can breeze through it in a couple of minutes. Can't decide though, how I feel about Alexandra Penney's blog, "The Bag Lady Series." Penney, a former magazine editor-turned-artist and one of the many victims of Bernie Madoff, is equal parts annoying and sympathy-provoking. She lives in NYC, for god's sake, but hadn't ever taken a bus or cab? I'm quite adverse to public transportation in Chicago, but you really do need to use the subway in NYC. Read a couple of her posts and let me know what you think. I think that my sympathy for her is wearing thin.

No comments: